2/4/10

A Boy and His Dog

I just realized I haven't seen my dog in quite a while. Actually, I may have seen him on Skype when I last spoke to my parents but I'm plagued by uncertainty. I miss the little bugger, even if he does get on my nerves. It's a comfort to see him asleep behind me, or basking in the sun in the front yard. He's a friend, and he's always there.

Though I don't see my Seraph, I do see dozens of dogs here in Prague. The prevalence of canines throughout the world is quite astonishing. This animal, domesticated ten thousand years ago, is a noble friend to every race on every continent - I'm sure there are sleds led by dogs in Antarctica. These creatures bond with us on a deep level, and we to them. Other animals at times get that close to us, but one can't deny the power of the dog, who have been by our sides as the years and millennia go by.

The other day - might have been yesterday - I saw a black Labrador-like dog walking along the street. Its female owner was a few feet behind. Right before crossing the street, the dog stopped and its owner put its leash on, came over to the tram stop, and proceeded to place a muzzle over the dog's head. She was very kind, whispering Czech words to her buddy. On the tram ride, the dog's head was cast down; its owner even questioned it. I wondered if she asked, "What's wrong?" in Czech.

Here in Prague there are a lot of dogs. I see them every day, out on the sidewalks for a stroll with their owners. No, not owners. Partners is more like it. See, unlike in New York and Miami, a number of the dogs are off-leash. They are not pulled by a person but rather walk alongside them. It's fascinates me.

Back home, I can't get Seraph to come to me when I call him. I have to yell at him a few times or make some motion until he feels like coming over. It's frustrating. The saddest part is it's my own fault for not having properly trained him as a puppy. Whenever I watch a movie with a dog, the canines come whenever they are called and walk alongside their masters. I Am Legend is a perfect example. That's exactly how it is in Prague.

A few hours ago I saw a woman walk toward Staroměstské náměstí while a small dog - one of those that you could step on by accident - ran alongside her. No leash. It was odd as the dog had an almost human quality to it. Had that been Seraph, I'd have had to run after him as he sniffed everyone and stopped and peed and ran amok. There's an understanding here. There's good training.

I can tell the Czechs have a strong bond with their dogs. Just the fact that they are off-leash so often shows me this. Last night, on my way back from a restaurant, I came upon a gorgeous white wolf-like dog sitting in front of a market. Its owners were inside, purchasing who knows what. Outside, the beautiful creature just sat there, obediently. Even as I walked past him, the odor of my gnocchi very strong, he only moved a little, as if to rise, but stayed down.

I regret not being a good owner and rearing my Seraph better. These aren't qualities I'd change of him, not really. They're traits I should have instilled in him. Still, he is obedient. I figure that if he ever ran away, though it might take him a few days, he'd still come back home. I don't want to test that, though - too often have I had to chase after him when he got out past our front gate. He can run quite fast, despite being a chubber.

He's probably asleep right now. It's 2:00PM over in Miami, so my mom likely isn't home. Well, she might be, I don't know. I hope he's getting some exercise. He tires me out, but he's a loving dog...

...even if his master trained him wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment